After-market extruder head

MajorOCD
Site Admin

Re: After-market extruder head

Post by MajorOCD » Sat May 26, 2018 11:28 pm

As-is it will surely not work with the Cube 3. A lot of things have changed from the Cube 2 to Cube 3. But since it produces BFB code, I'm sure it can be adapted for the Cube 3.

Excellent find!!
tprothma

Post by tprothma » Sun May 27, 2018 12:19 am

Hi Mechanizer, I can help you on the speed, but it will take a week or two for me to find time to post my profiles and python code. Not at all based on what was done in the link you sent, in fact what spegelius is doing is fairly simple but does not give full control. Also some things he's doing won't work for Cube3. Simplify3D is definitely the best slicer, but you can get by with some free slicers as well, it's just that you're kinda on your own as I don't have the time to match up the settings for a second slicer. Also there's some built in functions that I suspect are unique to S3D.

On your direct drive design, not quire sure I understand what's happening yet.
Is the grey part the existing extruder and you're just adding a pass-thru shaft?
Are the brown parts bearings? I see that the red is the traditional direct drive.
What are you using for cad, I'm using mostly Solidworks these days but also have access to Creo.

Tim
Mechanizer

Post by Mechanizer » Sun May 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Hey Tim, below is a breakdown of all the parts. I've added another piece which was missing in the earlier picture - the hub that interfaces with the cube. Basically, the original cube drive gear mounts inside a set screw hub, that hub bolts to another hub that mounts the 5mm drive shaft for the extruder gear. The red part is the extruder assembly and the brown parts are bearings. I use Autodesk Inventor for CAD - I could send you step files if you're interested.

Still scratching my head on what to do about the slicer, as the programming portion is a bit over my head.
Cube Extruder Hub.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tprothma

Post by tprothma » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am

Mechanizer, my software works with the native cube prints, but you have a little less control for fine tuning. I just have never tried to sync up with Cura or other profiles.
Tim
Mechanizer

Post by Mechanizer » Mon May 28, 2018 4:45 pm

tprothma wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am
my software works with the native cube prints
Tim, excuse my ignorance but I'm not quite following you. Are you saying I could change the speed and still use the cube print software?

Just so I understand, you use S3D to create the g code file, then your program takes that file and modifies it to work with the cube? And you can change the speed in S3D?
tprothma

Post by tprothma » Tue May 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Short answer is yes, long answer is:
The BFB Tweaker python code I've written essentially tweaks the BFB code coming from Cube3 or Simplify 3D (with profiles I've created). The S3D profiles prior to running the tweaker code make the print as close to Cube3 print settings as possible. There are specific things the Cube3 and S3D output that you probably won't get from other slicers without a lot of custom work. I am actually giving a little more control than Cube3 through S3D and python code. You can use Meshmizer or other open source programs to create supports, then print in Cube3 if you don't have S3D.

The python scripts you've dug up from speglius are simple search and replace and does not take into consideration context. For instance after a layer change the first series of lines is an outer perimeter, then an inner perimeter, then the solid infill or honecomb infill. You want accuracy on the outside and fusing on the inside and the only way to get both is to tune each separately. Cube3 and S3D are not only putting the feature type in specific order, but tracking and putting indicators (# vector XX). I've deciphered almost all of the # vector settings as well. And this is the first public post of someone saying what the # vector lines represent in Cube3 prints ;)

Tim
Mechanizer

Post by Mechanizer » Tue May 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Wow, that’s awesome and great news! I would prefer to use cube print, I’m not too concerned about fine tuning anything right now. I’ll just start simple, change the extrude head, match the speed and see what happens. Thanks!
Mechanizer

Post by Mechanizer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:06 pm

I got the drive unit done and I think it might actually work! 8-)
Now I just need to find some time so I can finish the printed pieces and try it out.
Drive unit 1.PNG
Drive unit 2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K.H.MusicMan

Post by K.H.MusicMan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 am

Wow, I commend you all. Good work! I am trying to add an aftermarket heat bed to replace the stock one. ABS always warps when I print, and the only fix is that damn head bed...;
Mechanizer

Post by Mechanizer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I finally got this thing working. Due to a minor oversight I had to turn a right hand extruder into a left hand. It snags a little now when first feeding in the filament and unfortunately they don't make a left hand version of this particular extruder. I may try find an alternative extruder that has a left hand version and update the design. It works though, I made the benchmark print below with filament that normally gives the Cube problems.
Extruder.PNG
Benchmark Print.PNG